Sunday, February 28, 2010

Another Reason Why It's Important To Adopt From Your Local Shelter or Rescue

According to the
American Humane Organization, nearly 10 million animals are euthanized annually in the United States. ( I think it's more than that personally since not all shelters report their stats and most are not required to report them either)

To break it down, that's:

  • 10,000,000 every year
  • 833,333 every month
  • 191,780 every week
  • 27,397 each day
  • 1141 every hour of the day 7 days a week
  • or think of it as 19 animals put to sleep every second of every hour of every day each year
I think that speaks volumes. When I hear about people buying dogs, I usually tell them that they have just killed a dog in a shelter that is waiting for a home. I know it's harsh to say-I'm sorry.
But by doing that, you just took away another dogs chance at hope. In addition, when you buy a dog from a pet store, you are supporting the puppymill industry. A disgusting industry that puts profit before welfare. I've only mentioned puppy mills about a million times-they breed misery. More on that later....
I think the statistics above are startling. Hopefully someone will read that and change their mind about buying and adopt instead. A girl can hope right?...



No comments:

Post a Comment